Monday, June 20, 2016

A635.3.3.RB_TAYLORHEATHER

I have heard nearly every single one of the excuses listed within Daryl Watkins' (2011) "50 Reasons Not to Change" graphic.  Except the one about the janitor.  I haven't heard that one, yet.  When I hear these statements, I usually react with a different emotions based on the intensity of my feelings on the subject.  For example, if it is regarding an initiative for which I have a small amount of complacency toward, I am not nearly as reactive to the excuse.  If, however, it is a project that I am spearheading and an idea for which I have a deep interest, I become nearly combative and highly reactionary.  I offer counter-arguments and even go into accusatory levels to which I explain that it is their own disregard for change that is at the heart of their motivation to accept the status quo.

The problem is that I have myself used these excuses before.  Even in childhood, I recall telling my sisters that it wasn't worth the effort to ask my grandparents to let us go somewhere or do something because they would never buy into the idea.  As I have grown and matured, I have realized that there is very little that cannot be accomplished if those that have the power to make change take action to do so.  The way to overcome this apathetic thinking is to motivate those in the positions of power.  When I say power, I am not speaking of the CEO's and executive leaders.  I am speaking of the tribal members that Seth Godin (2009) encourages leaders to draw on to proliferate their efforts toward change acceptance.  It is important to get the buy in of the janitors, the bottom-tier employees, the human resources team, outside contractors and even management.  

Without the support of other groups, or tribes, the idea becomes one of a solitary effort within your immediate realm of influence and will inevitably not withstand the test of time.  By expanding the group and putting people in positions of empowerment for change action, you are able to continually grow the idea and influence a far greater amount of people for a significantly longer period of time.
What will I be doing with this knowledge?  For one, I will be printing the excuses and checking them over to see if I, myself, am engaging in these negative thought processes.  I will also be looking at my professional networks and looking at what areas of my life are yearning for leadership.  For example, 

The Dysautonomia Advocacy Foundation (DAF) has 26,000+ likes on the social media outlet, Facebook.  That means over 26,000+ receive their communications and information.  They have placed my picture, my title and my name as their cover photo on their page.  Months ago, my dream was just to make a connection at DAF that could help others understand what Dysautonomia is and help treat the disorder.  While it is difficult to get up each day, have the energy to care for an amazing little 15 month old, and not end up in the ER, I also know that there are people out there in this community that are yearning for a leader.  They are yearning for someone that will make serious changes in the way those with Dysautonomia are screened and receive health care.  

This week I will focus on a vision of how I can effectively lead the group of 26,000+ individuals toward an improved system of care.  I will outline a course of action and develop a plan of communication to grow the network within this team of individuals.  I will then reach out to that team to discuss our organizational development and look at how we together can realize our shared vision and goals.


TEDTalk. (2009, February). Seth Godin: The tribes we lead. Retrieved June 20, 2016, from http://www.ted.com/talks/seth_godin_on_the_tribes_we_lead

Watkins, D. (2011, August). 50 Reasons Not to Change.  Retrieved June 20, 2016, from
https://prezi.com/z2v2cvo4t9tc/50-reasons-not-to-change/



No comments:

Post a Comment