Monday, June 13, 2016

A635.2.3.RB_TAYLORHEATHER

Marcia Blenko (2010) provides information on how to increase organizational performance through effective decision making.  According to Blenko, when employees feel their input is valuable and are active in influencing business operations they are able to provide high quality, time sensitive, well executed decisions with balanced effort.  The four elements of quality, speed, yield and effort encompass much of the effective decision making process, however three key elements are worth mentioning.  Those elements would include decision making that is ethical, self-reflective and based on forcasting.  According to Theil et al (2012), “Reflecting on prior experiences aids in accurately and completely making sense of an ethical situation…leaders might also benefit from making future assessments, or forecasting”( p. 56).  Moreover, Brown (2011) has found that, “Almost every organizational decision involves ethical questions, such as how people should treat others, conflicts of interest and so on.” (p. 90)

In my personal experience, those decisions which provided the greatest level of outcome were not the decisions that were half-baked or lacking significant critical thought.  For example, when my medical team and I decided it was appropriate for me to continue in the MSLD program at Embry-Riddle, it was with an understanding that I would need to be based in an online platform with flexibility due to my illness.  It was a decision based on the reflective thoughts in my past where I knew I needed to continue growth, even if it is at a rate that is slower than I previously would have expected.  I knew that the benefit of pursuing the degree despite the health obstacles faced daily would be worth it in the long run.  By holding on to the hope of rolling across the graduation stage, I am able to provide clear goals and direction, combating the ever present danger of falling into the depressive state that often accompanies those with physical or cognitive impairments.
In the corporate world, decision making can be much more difficult than in a small group setting.  Bureaucracy and ambiguity of job structures and organizations have increased complexity and decreases clarity over decision making responsibilities. The behaviors of those within leadership positions may not support decision making in the employees and stifle the vocalization of diverse views.
The take away message learned from the information provided by Blenko, Brown and Thiel et al is that leadership is full of decisions.  In order to provide the company the greatest return during the decision making process, it is critical to invest in the engagement of employees.  Others need to realize how their voice is not only heard but considered in the decision making process.  This is something I will be more aware of as I go into meetings with key policy makers and legislators that are effecting change in the state of Florida regarding legislation for persons with physical, emotional and behavioral impairments.

Blenko, M. (2010, October 13). How Companies Can Make Better Decisions, Faster. Retrieved June 13, 2016, from https://youtu.be/pbxpg6D4Hk8

Brown, D. (2011). An Experiential Approach to Organizational Development. Upper Saddle River, NJ, Prentice-Hall.

Thiel, C., Bagdasarov, Z., Harkrider, L., Johnson, J., & Mumford, M. (2012). Leader Ethical Decision-Making in Organizations: Strategies for Sensemaking. Journal Of Business Ethics, 107(1), 49-64. doi:10.1007/s10551-012-1299-1

No comments:

Post a Comment