In my personal experience, I have found this to be very true. I worked at a highly productive level for years earning what was very close to the Federal Poverty Level even with a Masters degree. Why? Why would I pour everything into a job that did not compensate me well?
I loved the work I did every single day. I loved being able to help people that were experiencing significant behavioral health issues. I constantly was being stretched professionally to grow and I knew that others around me cared about the work I did. So why did I leave? Lack of recognition. There was a very firm, hard and uncomfortable glass ceiling that felt more like a steel ceiling. Only a very small group of people were allowed to even think about moving upward and even fewer had a voice with the leadership team that would be heard without offense taken and retaliation.
In my most recent employment position, I had it all. I had the interesting work that I loved. I had the recognition and upward mobility and my skill set was growing exponentially on a daily basis due to the limited personnel resources and the willingness I had to learn whatever I could to do the job at the best level possible. Significant raises were happening multiple times a year and I was amazed at how much I loved my job.
If I were still able to perform work duties and provide the workplace with the level of production it deserves I would absolutely love to still be in that position. This time in my life where I have been ordered by doctors to focus on my health has also taught me how important it is to care for employees holistically. More than skill set development, more than rewards and more than interesting work, the greatest reason I loved working at my job is because they truly cared about me. They threw me a baby shower. They paid for my dress at the Ms. Wheelchair Florida competition and even arranged a hair stylist and makeup artist come to my room. They were incredible!
Their example teaches me that when money cannot be provided as a thank you for hard work, there are many other more meaningful methods to demonstrate how much you appreciate an employee. I hope to be the leader that I have learned to be from the examples in life that are continuing to help me.
1
Whetten, D., & Cameron, K. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
The three things we work for (money isn't one of them).Mulholland, A. (Director). (2011).[Video/DVD] Skillsoft Ireland Limited.
No comments:
Post a Comment