It is no surprise that on a week where I literally was knocked to my knees that we are to write about self-awareness. I have recently become aware that my body, my mind and my person are only able to do so much. I was wonder-woman. I was super-mom. I was the one that had to be on top of everything. And then I fell on the floor.
I am learning that the organization that I work for is one that can operate without me. I am not as important as I thought. That isn't a devaluing statement, but one of honesty. I am finding that delegation is just as important, if not more important than doing tasks yourself in a leadership role. What good does it do to be a leader does it all if you're body is not able to function at all?
While being a servant leader is a great ideal to hold, it is to be achieved through balance and boundaries. I need to develop my priorities and really understand what is most important. Being on an operating table at 32 years of age and wondering if this is the last time I will ever see or talk to my husband and baby girl is an eye-opening experience. There is much more to life than work and being a leader is a lifestyle, not a position. I need to lead my daughter to understand balance. She needs to understand health and the importance of rest. She needs to realize that worth is not measured in evaluations or performance. I thank God for an opportunity to really learn from this and continue to be here each day. It is something that should not be taken for granted.
No comments:
Post a Comment