Sunday, August 21, 2016

A641.2.3.RB_TAYLORHEATHER

     Am I a resonant leader?  Resonant leaders are said to inspire, create an atmosphere of hope and positive regard, have high emotional intelligence, demonstrate compassion and have authenticity.  In my daily life I try to meet all of these qualities and some days I succeed, some days I fall short.  The last few days have been more of the latter than the former.  On the days where my health is good, I try to expend as much energy as possible while maintaining balance to improve the world around me.  Some days are spent in bed, lights off, not able to move and wondering what type of leader I am when I can hardly get up to do daily hygiene tasks.  I do not wallow in self-pity.  I simply try to focus on the moment at hand.  When the migraines hit, I turn off all the lights and try to soothe my daughter so as to minimize the external stimuli in our home.  When the fatigue and body aches come, I  pray through them and try not to exert myself to worsen the symptoms.  It is a great balancing act and a relatively silent struggle behind the scenes of what is portrayed out in the community.
     Yet, I do not give up. Perhaps that is the inspiring part.  Perhaps that is the hope and positive influence I have on others.  I will often hear from someone that I just met that when they see me they are inspired.  I suppose they see a wheelchair and instantly think of what life would be like for them if they could no longer walk.  Would they still be able to smile through it?  I don't always smile.  Though, when I am seen smiling it is authentic happiness.  It is an attitude of gratitude for being able to have vision, hearing, tactile sensations, the ability to breathe independently and enjoy the laughter of my daughter.
    Last week I was able to share a stage with 26 amazing leaders across the nation that utilize a wheelchair for mobility.  The word "Inspire" was used countless times by the Master of Ceremonies during the event.  But what if I wasn't in a wheelchair?  Would my life still inspire?  Would my actions still resonate?
     I hope so.  I hope that when I lead, I am doing so with such optimism, with such authenticity and with such positive regard that whomever I am connecting with will leave the encounter with an improved sense of self-worth or an improved understanding of how they can reach their own goals.  Similar to Jackson's (2012) assertion, I feel that by helping someone understand their purpose and their cause, you will cultivate inspiration in the process.  People are inspired by a cause and a good leader can help create that unity of purpose among their followers.
    So what message, what cause am I supporting to unite and inspire others?  My mission is to help people look at whatever life circumstance they are currently facing as a "Perfect Opportunity To Shine" (POTS- the condition I have which requires me to use a wheelchair for mobility).  Could I narrow my focus to something that is relative to those only utilizing a wheelchair?  Sure.  Would I be as effective or resonant?  No.  One day I will get out of that chair and dance.  One day I will live a full life free of health issues.  One day there will be a cure.  In the meantime, I am charging forward in a 6 mph vehicle every single day to get us there faster.  It is reassuring that McKee, Boyatzis, and Johnston (2008), "Leadership is a conscious process, starting with clarity about one's own personal vision and hopes for the future." (p. 43)  I previously thought that a resonant leader had to be completely selfless and not geared toward their own desires.  I now understand that by focusing on what matters most to you, what drives you, what motivates you, what gives you passion, you will create such energy among your followers that others will want to join you in your efforts.  At that time, it is essential to meet the needs of fostering positive relationships by promoting compassion, empathy, authenticity and hope during your interactions.  It will not always be rainbows and butterflies, but it is the attitude that will give altitude toward the dreams and ambitions of all involved.  Each day it is my goal to continue that process of building one another up so we can reach our goals together hoping that our actions will resonate well into the lives of future generations.


Jackson, B. (2012). Give your people a cause and inspiration will follow. Human Resource Management International Digest, 20(2), 32-34. doi:http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/10.1108/09670731211208184


McKee, A., Boyatzis, R. E., & Johnston, F. (2008). Becoming a resonant leader: Develop your emotional intelligence, renew your relationships, sustain your effectiveness. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Pub. 

No comments:

Post a Comment