Monday, May 9, 2016

A521.7.4.RB_TAYLORHEATHER

It will happen.  One day soon, my husband, daughter and I will depart KDAB- Daytona Beach International Airport on a journey throughout the state of Florida.  Today we do not have a plane.  We do not have a single dollar in sponsorship toward the end goal of $5,140.00 to make this dream a reality.  We do, however, have a vision.  We know there is a way to break through the barriers and create a smooth path in which I will wheel toward a Cessna with my daughter seated in my lap, my husband will place us in the plane and will shout those amazing words I have not heard in nearly two years, “Clear Prop.”

Just as Nancy Duarte communicated in her TedTalk, The Secret Structure of Great Talks (2011), this passion, this idea I have within me needs to get communicated to a larger audience.  Duarte herself has experience significant life struggles that could have deterred her from the dream she had within her to influence others in a meaningful and powerful way.  Yet, she was able to do what I hope to do in the next few weeks.  I am going to fully take hold of what Duarte suggests as the way to overcome these obstacles.  She offers, “Capture the resistance that is coming against you.” (Duarte, 2011).

As Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) has completed the recent commencement ceremonies, the Office of the President is now able to focus on other matters.  I plan to go to the campus Monday morning and speak face to face with those that have previously rejected this idea of an inspirational journey to encourage those with disabilities to never give up on their dreams or their independent lives. 

I will not march into an office, but I will roll along my six wheeled vehicle in pursuit of a “Yes.” An affirmation that the University to which my family devotes their time, effort and energy is going to support this endeavor to help others regain hope and develop a better understanding of how the state of Florida can improve the lives of those with disabilities.  I know, I feel that this dream can be a reality and I need the help of the university to make it so.

In preparation for my meeting with the Office of the President, I will need to ensure I am presenting my message clearly.  “A clear message is a complete and accurate reflection of your thoughts, needs, feelings and observations.” (McKay et al., 2009, p. 58)  It will be imperative for my statements to be concise but accurate and reflect exactly what is needed in communication.  Moreover, I will need to share the stories that will hopefully inspire many across the state and nation.  Denning (2011) states. “Stories about the past enable us to make sense of the past and so move into the future.” (p. 207)  I need to ensure the stories can help the Office of the President at Embry-Riddle understand why this vision needs to become a reality.

I can hear those words, “Clear Prop” and can see the blue skies of our journey ahead.  I know ERAU will be part of that journey.  What an impact we will make together!




    Denning, S. (2011). The Leaders Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of Business Narrative. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
     Duarte, N. TedxEast. (2011, November). The Secret Structure of Great Talks. Retrieved May 09, 2016, from http://www.ted.com/talks/nancy_duarte_the_secret_structure_of_great_talks

    McKay, M., Davis, M., & Fanning, P. (2009). Messages: The Communication Skill Book (Third Edition). New Harbinger Publications, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment