Assuming the expert role. During negotiations, if I ever come across an individual that makes statements eluding to their expertise on the issue, I immediately begin questioning the data that is represented. Those that overly express their own ability and do not admit their limits of knowledge on the subject strike me as arrogant or narcissistic. The individual that comes to the table and openly admits they do not have all the answers nor do they have all of the data, is the individual that I will spend more time listening to as negotiations continue. The most successful negotiation tactic I have found to get this individual to provide accurate information is to request all verbal assertions be documented in writing for thorough review before decisions are made.
Deadlines. Whenever I am pushed into making a decision, I immediately assess the situation and ask myself, what is the necessity for making this decision at this very moment? Why the need for expedience? Why am I being pushed into a place that does not allow for ample time to reflect or prepare for the decision? This is an area where I generally provide a significant amount of push back and if provided an ultimatum that the options that are currently available today will not be available tomorrow, I will end the negotiations and tell the individual that they should likely quickly get another person to jump on that decision today since there is such a critical deadline. At that point, I usually do not have a lot of push back and the individual will take a step back and say there is no rush and that I should not end negotiations.
Smoke and mirrors. No one wants to show their flaws openly during negotiations. It sets them up for insecurity and could result in failed negotiations. However, when I enter into a negotiation, I want to have hard data. I want to have evidence. I want to see the product working as stated today. I do not want to hear, "This is the anticipated model for the next release of the product." To combat the smoke and mirrors, I ask that what I am potentially agreeing to purchase be provided in a sandbox that has the same exact parameters as which I would be operating on a daily basis. For example, if an individual states they want me to agree to a new version of the product, and I know this product will be utilized as a cloud-based product, I will request that the individual allow me to use my own trial copy through a cloud-based platform and give me at least 5 days to fully evaluate before allowing negotiations to continue. I have found that vendors are quick to rush to production, sacrificing quality to obtain additional customers. By requiring a working product prior to continued negotiations, there is power to ensure quality is delivered. The vendor will push their product development team to get it right, rather than request they work on a "bug" after the product has already been purchased. When I have failed to do this, I received a beautiful demo, a great display of a product and determined much later that it was much like a magic show. Lots of props, lots of manipulation, people pulling strings behind the scenes and not a lot of true functionality, nor alignment with what was originally promised.
Sign and drive today. Like what is advertised on TV, some negotiations have started with a "sign and drive today" feel to them. Negotiators are always wanting to get that signed contract. They want the commission, the sealed deal, they want the victory. Knowing this, it is always on the forefront of my mind that I never go into negotiations same day. If I see something I like, I will say that I want some additional time to reflect on what was provided during demo. This allows me to utilize the tactic of preparing questions before the next meeting. Often, negotiators have their standard list of bells and whistles, their standard script and then their standard contract ready for signature. By developing a list of questions, this allows me to regain a sense of control in the negotiations and ensure that what is needed for the long term success of the agency is obtained.
I am thankful for the times where I have missed the boat in contract negotiations. I am thankful for the mistakes I have made. I am thankful for the rushed and failed decisions. Those have helped me become a better decision maker, a better role model for my family and a better future leader. That being said, people who have to enter into negotiations with me usually find out ahead of time about my reputation as a hard-nosed negotiator and they do their homework before making their first contact with me. The younger me would never have wanted to have a reputation of being hard-nosed in negotiations. The seasoned professional I am becoming is flattered by this perception, as it makes me empowered to know I am respected in my position.
No comments:
Post a Comment