This week, I was forced to look at my own ability to zoom out, not get caught in the details and look at the overall vision. Too often I find myself trying to achieve and meet external goals set by others. While I do set goals and will take risks that I foresee would benefit the company, I do not spend a considerable amount of time cultivating a vision that is newly developed. Usually, I will take a new vision that has been set forth by the Chairman and if allocated the task, I will run with it. However, I have not stepped out on my own to come up with novel ways to do business. I would like to discuss the appropriateness of doing this with the Chairman and see if he would like to have a method for which I could continue to develop the skill of being a visionary.
In reading about managerial motivation, I was humbled to see that my motivations were not narcissistic in nature, but were based on a high level of emotional maturity and a need for affiliation, achievement and socialized power. I tend to operate consistently in accordance with the expectancy theory of motivation. The area for which I feel I am needing to redirect effort is the independent level for which I tend to operate. As a project manager, I am required to make sure I can handle what comes my way. That being said, I need to realize that I am part of a larger group and, when appropriate, request assistance or delegate tasks. This will afford others the opportunity to really shine and gain new skills.
Due to the situation variables in which followers are currently operating with highly complex tasks that are taking a considerable amount of effort and causing a significant amount of stress, I am currently operating in line with the Path-Goal theory, which allows our team to continue to grow through task-oriented behavior with supportive leadership assisting each step of the way. I am already seeing gains in the employees on my team and I am so thankful for the effort they are putting forth. It is great to see how hard work really can pay dividends.
Harvard Business Review. (2011). Zooming: How
Effective Leaders Adjust Their Focus.
YouTube.
Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saNj6B0Vasw&feature=youtu.be
Yukl, G. (2013). Leadership in organizations (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
No comments:
Post a Comment