When I reflect upon the weeks that have passed in this course, I realize that I have learned a lot. Not about facts and figures. Not about terminology that needs to be recited on an exam. I have learned a lot about me and realized that I have a lot more to learn.
This week we are to critically think about critical thinking. We are charged with a self-assessment of where we are compared to where we were prior to engaging in this course. While I am not able to provide a GPS location point of where I am on the path of critical thinking, I can say that I am not where I was and I am not where I need to be.
My husband may be the best method for gathering (somewhat) objective data. Prior to initiating this course, I was mildly annoying in my relentless questioning. At this stage in my development of critical thinking character traits, well let's just say ESPN is on quite often at the Taylor household.
When I wake up in the morning, I begin to evaluate my choices, from what I eat, to why I am choosing these foods, to how they impact my baby given my current status as a nursing mother. I then go about my daily routine, evaluating my behaviors and my choice of words. I question my habits and what formed them. I ask myself if these are the traits I want to have established in my daughter as she grows.
In the workplace, I question policy. I question decisions. I question my contribution to the company. I question the output of work completed. I question how my current position will allow for professional growth.
So where am I in my development of critical thinking skills? If the questioning that I have been doing is indicative of the same type of develop we have in early childhood, I would say I am almost ready to start school! A two year old will incessantly ask, "Why?" A three year old is willing to begin to learn more about the reason behind the "Why?"
The most rewarding part of this journey is that is not marked by the footprints of others along the path. It is a journey I am on, with no competition. There is no one on the road saying, "Now take a left here and this is what you will find." It is a journey that is just beginning and is one that I will need to take every effort to ensure I move forward and grow. With intellectual perseverance as my walking stick, I will continue along the path and look forward to the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment