Team Roles
When it comes to a team, I often will take the unofficial role of mother hen. I will lay out the pecking orders, I will assign duties and I will follow-up consistently. I will accept leadership from others, but generally vie for the position of ensuring we stay the course toward finding the goal. If I see there is a teammate that is doing a wonderful job and completing tasks well, I will ensure the entire team recognizes the effort. If I see an under-performing teammate, I will offer support and then if the teammate continues to be under-performing, I will become more stern in my requests discussing corrective action and subsequent written recommendations to enhance their job performance.
I will be a facilitator, moderator, cheerleader and sergeant-at-arms. I will be the visionary member or the quiet listener. Often it is whatever role the team needs to enhance performance that I will complete. If I notice there is a great team of minds that are all shy and hesitant to speak up, I will do the speaking up and draw out information through prompting and positive statements of regard toward the individuals. If I notice a group where there is a monopolizer present in the group, I will ask that the monopolizer become the sergeant-at-arms and ensure that no one individual has more than 1 minute of uninterrupted communication. This is a tool to help the monopolizer increase their own awareness without being told to stop talking in front of their peers.
Essentially, as a leader, I have found that my role is ever evolving. It is ever changing. It is the role of becoming a food and beverage server, making sure everyone has something to eat or drink. It is the role of hospitality manager, making sure the room temperature is favorable for the group dynamics. It is the role of comforter and motivator.
Why do I take on these multiple roles? To increase cohesion in the group. Each member needs to feel wanted and appreciated. I try to help other members see the benefit each individual has to the team and then have the team recognize each individual.
Ways that I can improve as a leader in the team is by stepping back more and allowing the group to complete more action. Rather than jumping in at the first sign of group distress, it may be better to help the group learn to overcome their barriers to communication on their own and reaffirm them during the process. Taking that supervisory role requires a lot of self-control, but I know it will be worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment