Sunday, April 10, 2016

A521.3.4.RB_TAYLORHEATHER

It was the summer before I started middle school.  A hot, humid Florida day, I was excited to report for my first day of work.  I got dressed, put my boots on and ventured off to Mr. Ritchie’s house.  I left the long driveway of our home, crossed the road and walked up the cobblestone path to the barn of our next door neighbor’s three-story home.

Mr. Ritchie owned several horses and had a large barn full of tools and grooming equipment, riding equipment and equestrian supplies.  With chickens and roosters racing between our legs and dogs barking louder than we could speak, Mr. Ritchie told me what his expectations were for my work.  He said he wanted the barn neat and organized and the stalls were to be cleaned.  He showed me how to do the job of a “pooper-scooper.”  I can still feel the excitement of knowing that I had a job!

He left me with a shovel, a rag, a broom and a dust pan.  I looked around at the stalls and the wooden table tops of the barn.  I knew I could do what he expected and I wanted to get another chance to work again.  He told me he would pay $5.00/hr.  It was the mid 90’s and for $5.00/hr, I thought I was going to be rich!  I got right to work.  Scrubbing, brushing, cleaning, sweeping, and pooper-scoopering, my face was filled with dirt and my braid was far from tidy.  Yet, the barn was immaculate.  It looked brand new and I had finished in just under 2 hours. 

Mr. Ritchie came down to check on me at about the hour mark and said to “keep up the good work.”  I went up to tell him I was done and he came through the barn and the stalls.  He said he didn’t remember the last time his barn looked so clean.  I smiled from ear to ear as he handed me $10.00.  I was so excited.  Then he said that I was hired as his full-time pooper-scooper.  You would have thought he had promoted me to the CEO position with the window office overlooking the beachfront view. 
This experience taught me that if you work hard, and you meet the expectations that are set before you, you can move up and get the position you desire.

Today, I handle my work in much the same manner.  Or at least I did prior to doctors requiring me to go on medical leave.  I poured everything into my work and I ensured that I would meet expectations.  This mindset and work ethic allowed me to receive three consecutive promotions in a matter of six months just this past year.  It was incredible to see how hard work really paid off.  I had coworkers that would tell me that the expectations were unrealistic or that the work was too hard.  I would not let that dissuade me from achieving the desired results.  Those coworkers remained at the same level of employment during the time that I was with the company, and I feel it all goes back to enthusiasm and work ethic.

-----
I cannot remember how old I was at this point, but I know I had firmly established the difference between being lazy and being hard working.  My sisters and I were on summer break and my grandfather, Paw Paw, had asked which one of us wanted to help him with the firewood pile.  Because it was summer in Florida, there had been many humid days and lots of rain that had fallen since the last time we needed firewood.  I didn’t even hesitate when he asked for help.  I was so excited to be able to help my Paw Paw outside and do a “man’s job!” 

Spending most of my weekends cleaning, dusting and folding clothes, I yearned for the ability to learn how to mow the yard, how to tinker with tools or fix things around the house.  Whenever I tried to help, my grandma, “Maw Maw” would tell me that those were men’s jobs and that there was plenty to do in the house.  This was different though, Paw Paw had specifically asked for help outside. 

I put on my jeans and boots, got my hair in a ponytail and went out to the firewood pile.  It had a torn blue tarp on it that had been covered in leaves and rainwater.  When we started to remove the tarp, all sorts of critters came out and I did my very best not to scream.  I wanted to keep doing the “man’s work” and I knew letting out a shriek would not be looked upon highly by my Paw Paw.  So into the firewood pile I went with bare hands.

He had me reorganize the wood, have the pieces that were saturated with rainwater placed into the sun to dry, and then showed me what to do with the new wood, stacking them atop a crate that kept the pieces nice and crisp.  It was a full day’s work.  I hardly took time to look up from the pieces of wood.  I looked at them like pieces to a Tetris game.  I wanted to make sure we maximized every inch of the firewood pile and to stack them in a way that would ensure no pieces would fall over. 

When we were done, my Paw Paw came over and was smiling.  This was a man that very rarely smiled and never provided words of affirmation.  He grew up in an era where that just wasn’t what was appropriate or acceptable for men to do.  That smile though- that was the equivalent to him giving you the biggest compliment of your life.  He turned over his left shoulder and looked toward the screened in porch where my Maw Maw was watching us from her rocking chair.  I still remember him saying this, “Well Gran, it looks like the girls are going to get Busch Garden’s passes after all.”

I don’t remember my sisters out there helping with the firewood pile.  Maybe they were but I was so consumed with what I was doing that I didn’t pay any attention to whether they had been given a job or not.  I remember thinking to myself that even if they didn’t help, it really was an incredible feeling to know that we were getting a big reward for working hard and that I would be able to go to Busch Gardens with my sisters.  The next day, my Paw Paw took us straight to the theme park and we enjoyed a fun day together. 

It was this experience that helped me realize that when you work hard and keep your mind focused on your responsibilities, you don’t need to worry with what is happening around you.  You don’t need to see if your coworkers are working as hard as you are, you don’t need to compare yourself with their productivity and you don’t need to worry with whether they are getting compensated equally or better than you.  I knew that I received the smile and approval of my Paw Paw.  That smile still is worth so much to me to this very day.

Sharing these stories creates a sense of vulnerability as these are very dear to my heart.  Yet, allowing myself to move from the “hidden self” to the “open self” provides for the ability to link these experiences back to my worldview on leadership within an organization (McKay, Davis & Fanning, 2009).  When that day comes where I will one day return to the work force and hopefully be in a position to mentor others, I will explain to them how even from a very young age, I valued a hard work ethic.  According to Denning (2011), this will help me build trust with my employees and will enhance my credibility as a leader (Whalen, 2007).

References


Denning, S. (2011). The Leaders Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of Business Narrative. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

McKay, M., Davis, M., &Fanning, P. (2009). Messages: The Communication Skill Book (Third Edition). New Harbinger Publications, Inc.


Whalen, D. J. (2007). The Professional Communications Tool Kit. Thousand Oaks, CA, Sage Publications, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment