Saturday, March 12, 2016

A632.9.3.RB_TAYLORHEATHER

The first example of a key decision that was made in which I felt very confident was that of purchasing our new vehicle.  After months of research and reviewing and consulting with others we decided to pursue the purchase of a used Land Rover LR3.  I never really knew anything about the Land Rover brand or the vehicle.  I did know that the number of deaths reported in that vehicle for all highway vehicle incidents was zero, zilch, none.  That was worth more than anything that we could buy.  These were real live crashes in which the drivers and passengers walked away without life threatening injuries.  The emotions that went into the purchase were fear and concern, financial concerns and excitement about a new vehicle.  

The confidence of the decision increased with time.  Initially we knew it was the right purchase but as time continued to pass, it was even greater, especially now that we have to have a heavy wheelchair lift attached to the vehicle which would not have been possible on a small minivan or mid-sized SUV.

The second example was the decision to follow doctor orders and cease employment.  I was so scared and in shock.  I was crying thinking about giving up my career.  I had been promoted three times in the previous 9 months and was so excited about where the future was taking our family.  It wasn’t until I realized that if I kept working our family might not have me in their future that I agreed to focusing on health, being a mom and a student.  That was plenty. I was not confident in that decision.  I was worried about our finances.  I was concerned about what would happen to my professional marketability.  It wasn’t until I went into deep prayer and really sought out God’s will that I started to have more confidence in this life decision.


In both of these instances, emotions play a large role in the way that decisions are made.  In both examples, it was always about what was best for our family and what was best for our health and safety.  When you prioritize what matters most, it becomes much easier to weigh decisions and make a choice that you can reflect on and smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment