In Sheena Iyengar’s Ted
Talk, How to make choosing easier, she
sites four methods to help a customer in the decision-making process. (2011)
These four choices are as
follows:
“Cut”: Removing any
unnecessary options
“Concretize”-
Allow customer to experience the option
(i.e. pictures, videos, feeling textures, etc.)
“Categorize”- Break
down choices into chunks or categories
“Condition for
complexity”- Move customer from low level choices gradually up to high level
choices.
Two of these methods
are often used in my daily work and in my daily life. They are the methods of cut and
categorize. Knowing myself, I have to
have a certain degree of standardization in my life to be functional. Can I manage without that degree of
standardization? Sure. However, the choosing process takes much
longer to complete as compared to when I
employ these two techniques.
For example, in my
personal life I wake up each morning and ask myself what I am going to wear. In the past, when in a healthier physical
state, I had my closet organized in a way where all of my seasonal clothes were
together and then broken down by color and length. This means that all of my winter attire would
be in one section of my closet. Then all
of the items would go from darks to light much like the light spectrum. Within each category (i.e. pink), I would
categorize further to start with long sleeve, then ¾ sleeve, then T-shirt. You get the jest. Here is where the cut part comes in. I would then go through my closet at the end
of the season and look at what items I like to wear and which items I never
chose to wear. Those that did not get
worn were then donated. This made it
nice for the recipient of the rarely worn clothing item, but also made it
easier for me to get dressed each day.
Professionally, it is
much the same. As a project manager that
was able to manage 13 large projects simultaneously, I had to come up with ways
to break down choices into chunks. My
mentor and boss, George Epstein, worked with me and the project management team
to fundamentally change the way we approached project management methodology. We then looked at our system of project
delivery and categorized them into sections (i.e. Project Initiation, Clinical
Configuration, Revenue Configuration, etc.).
From these chunks we then placed in each item that must be covered
during that stage of project management.
In doing so, we were able to cut down the number of steps to a project
from over 300 steps to only 65 steps.
This was a huge victory and one that allowed us to create a standard
approach the customer was willing to follow.
Many customers previously would look at their project plan and would
just get overwhelmed. Many projects
failed because the customer felt they would never complete all 300+ steps. Through this process, we are able to ensure
each critical element is completed and manage choice making into bite size
chunks.
Listening to the
points made by Iyengar (2011), I feel the next step in this process would be to
then order the choices and steps of the project plan from a lower level of complexity to a higher
level of complexity. This is a point
that I would like to discuss further with the managers at The Echo Group to
determine if they could see the benefit in making such changes. The ability to
make choices feel concrete is currently underway by creating images /videos for
each choice. The idea is to have the
customer review the video and images which lead them through their choice
options and then they can reference these as they move on to higher level
choices.
Iyengar, S. (2011). Shenna Iyengar: How to make choosing easier. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar_choosing_what_to_choose?language=en
Iyengar, S. (2011). Shenna Iyengar: How to make choosing easier. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar_choosing_what_to_choose?language=en
No comments:
Post a Comment